Monday, 6 August 2012


Today my dad was 70!
We realized that he was only a year older than I am now when he became a grandfather for the first time;scary!
We spent the day together again as a family with a trip into Norwich to the Apple Store to set up his new Ipod; despite being 70, he is certainly not behind the times.
My dad is the best dad you could ever wish for. He has always been there for me as a child, but even more so as an adult. The past 3-4 years of my life have been particularly difficult and he has stood by and supported me every step of the way, with my mum too. There exists a special bond between us which I think began when I was born prematurely and continues stronger than ever today as I begin this battle against cancer.
I feel so privileged to have had such a wonderful dad who is still with me now, and there for my children to learn from too. I hope he will be with me for many more years to come.

Tomorrow is day one of the unkown; I have to be at the hospital at 8.30am and will be there for about six hours as my chemotherapy is fed slowly through a drip.
For those of you interested in the details, my regime is called R-CHOP
  • Rituximab- is a monoclonal antibody
  • Cyclophosphamide- a chemotherapy drug
  • Doxorubicin- A chemotherapy drug
  • Vincristine- A chemotherapy drug
  • Prednisolone- a steroid
Quite a cocktail, but not of the type I am used to or would prefer! The good news however is that I can still drink alcohol during my therapy; probably not while I'm connected up to the drip though, so none tomorrow.
I'm sure that an occasional G and T will also have its place in my regime .

I am relieved that it is starting as my neck is becoming more aching each day.
I have my own personal nurse to accompany me tomorrow who will ensure that all goes as it should; you never think your sister being an Oncology nurse would be the best career she could have chosen until you are at the receiving end of her care.

For those of you who believe in the power of prayer, please pray for me tomorrow as the drugs start to go into my body, that they will do the job intended and there will be no adverse reactions.
Pray also for the Consultant looking after me for her wisdom in knowing the right course to take as I move through this journey.
Praise God that I have Him who is sovereign over all in complete control of my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment