Monday, 13 August 2012

First session at the Big C Centre today was very helpful; talk on dealing with stress and anxiety followed by a Relaxation session. It was a small group in a very relaxed room led by an Occupational Therapist. Mum came with me so hopefully it was useful for her too. There was some useful discussion and sharing which allowed people to feel free to say what they wanted.
After that I had a few hours on my own at home before my daughter was back from work and it was good to be able to be on my own for a while.
As lovely as it is to have people here helping, I need time to be myself and do things as i want to do them.
Losing control over your life is a stressful part of the illness and trying to maintain some degree of control is essential for me.  However I have the assurance that God has ultimate control and that helps me to be able to relax with the things I cant control at the moment.
There is a fine line between helping and controlling which is difficult to find when you care about someone so much. Thats hard for my family and friends to get right, but I'm thankful for them even when they do get it "wrong"

I managed my own injection tonight under the close supervision of "nurse" so I'm learning new skills too; Might even consider a career change, although wouldn't be able to compete with my sister's abilities, so perhaps I will stay within my own area of expertise!

No comments:

Post a Comment