Wednesday, 29 August 2012

First day meeting the world in my scarf as the wig just didn't feel comfy today. Somehow I feel I can express my individuality more through wearing scarves than wearing the wig as it feels false. I'm sure it will find its place in my life though, and when neither fit, hey! I can tattoo my head with butterflies sent from my mad foraging friend! I still find it difficult to look in the mirror with a naked head though. But watching the opening ceremony of the Paralympics where a man with no legs is dancing in front of thousands puts it into perspective; my hair will grow back, his legs wont and he is still celebrating. Breathtaking!

I met my Consultant Radiographer today to plan for the radiotherapy I may need at the end of my chemotherapy. It is likely that this will be needed unless the cancer has completely gone at my PET scan on October 2nd after four cycles.The decision will then be made as to whether I need a further two courses of chemotherapy and/or radiotherapy. Whilst the radiotherapy itself is easier to cope with than chemotherapy, the long-term side effects could be severe due to the area being radiated being close to my heart and lungs. I have been told that my oesophagus (foodpipe) and trachea (windpipe) will become inflamed with the treatment which will make eating uncomfortable and give me a cough. I cant say that this doesn't concern me, therefore would prefer the outcome not to need radiotherapy. However, I understand that any remaining lymphoma should respond very well to radiotherapy if it is required.
It would also mean that I wouldn't be able to return to work until January at the earliest.

A much needed relaxation class at the Big C Centre was on the agenda after the  above appointment with mum and me having an hour of complete unwinding.

We then had a quick turn around for an appointment at Star Throwers Charity in Wymondham, where I met the doctor running the clinic. We discussed getting my immune system healthy again when I am through my treatment. In the meantime I have been offerred Yoga classes and weekly massage all free of charge, both of which start this week. I am hoping that this will help my sleep pattern and keep my body supple while I'm not able to take more strenuous exercise. It should all complement the aggressive nature of the chemotherapy.

I arrived back home at 3.0pm totally and utterly exhausted and needed to rest for the remainder of the day and evening after my "busy" day! Then  looked after by my eldest daughter with a lovely tea and evening of uninterrupted West Wing in my other two daughters absence.

No comments:

Post a Comment