Sunday, 2 September 2012

Snakes and ladders.
I have had three wonderful days of relative normality. I have decided that I feels like I'm playing a game of snakes and ladders at times; I move along the board, up a ladder or two to the next level, then land on a snake which takes me back down again.  At the moment I am at the top of a ladder further along the board than I have been. Unfortunately I know that Tuesday will take me back down a snake again, but I think I'm finding the ladders more easily.I am moving further up the board with each treatment cycle.

I spent a day in Thorpeness and a day in Southwold with my lovely man. No more chocolates, but a bottle of champagne made the week-end extra bubbly! We even treated ourselves to double scoop ice-cream on Southwold Peir; Clotted cream with vanilla seed ice-cream and dark chocolate and stem ginger.........heavenly!
The week-end was made complete by him cooking a wonderful roast beef dinner for the family today, including Flo Nightingown who has arrived to take over carer duties while two daughters disappear on their holidays; how inconsiderate of them! One in Rhodes and one about to go to Florida, I will have to settle for Suffolk for a while as going abroad I think!

I was disappointed not to get to the Paralympics as the family went on Saturday and we have tickets for Tuesday and Friday also. I admire all the athletes so much for their courage and determination to make the most of their lives and reach their full potential. I think sometimes as able-bodied people we take for granted our abilities and do not achieve our full potential. Taking a step back from life changes your perspective, and I hope that I will achieve my full potential as result of having to step off the treadmill for a while.
Somehow even small achievements each day become hugely satisfying and the simple things in life become more enjoyable when your ability is restricted. I am starting to understand better the massive achievements of some of the children I treat.

No comments:

Post a Comment