Saturday, 8 September 2012

Nutritional benefits and Aloe Vera: God's natural healing remedy

I have been learning about the benefits particularly of Aloe Vera Gel in the treatment and recovery of lymphoma from a contact who has been through it himself. The healing properties of the Aloe Vera showed no scarring at all on his scan which is normally seen following treatment. As it is a natural product there are no harmful effects so I have begun on the Aloe Vera journey! It tastes disgusting though, so needs to be taken with fruit juice.

 There are six references in the Bible of Aloe Vera:
1. “And they took the body of Jesus and wound it in linen clothes with the spices and aloes as the manner of the Jews is to bury.”
John 19:39-40
2. “As the valleys are they spread forth, as gardens by the river’s side, as the trees of aloes which the Lord hath planted, [and] as cedar trees beside the waters.”
Numbers 24:6
3. “All thy garments [smell] of myrrh, and aloes [and] cassia, out of the ivory palaces, whereby they have made thee glad.”
Psalms 45:8
4. “I have perfumed my bed with myrrh, aloes, and cinnamon.”
Proverbs 7:17
5. “Spikenard and saffron; calamus and cinnamon, with all trees of frankincense; myrrh and aloes, with all the chief spices.”
Song of Solomon 4:14
6. “And there came also Nicodemus, which at the first came to Jesus by night, and brought a mixture of myrrh and aloes, about an hundred pound [weight].”
John 19:39

I was treated to a lovely lunch yesterday by a friend who took me to a vegetarian restaurant locally. I had a delicious grilled Halloumi salad and discovered that they prepare meals for the freezer very reasonably priced.
With what I am learning about my dietary needs to assist recovery of my immune system, this place will be great for some stand-by meals.

This is an example of post-chemotherapy diet;

A Structured Post-treatment Nutritional Program
Often there is a feeling of "let-down" after traditional chemotherapy regimens are over and you are in the "wait and see" period. This is when nutrition can be particularly valuable. It helps you to replenish lost nutrient stores as well as to feel more participatory in your recovery process. Here are some of the key factors that I use when designing individualized programs for people:
  • 21 days of a predominantly vegetarian diet with supplements to induce liver detoxification enzyme systems, e.g. milk thistle (silymarin) and cysteine (or N-acetyl cysteine).
  • 5 or more servings of fresh fruits daily.
  • 5 or more servings of fresh vegetables daily.
  • addition of at least 3 servings of fish per week (salmon, etc.)
  • gradual incorporation of at least 5 servings of beans per week.
  • addition of digestive enzymes daily.
  • addition of yogurt or other probiotic food/supplement daily
  • addition of 1-2 tablespoons of nuts daily (for magnesium and omega-3 fatty acids).
Fortunately I love fish and enjoy vegetarian foods; maybe I will end up as a Pescatarian as part of my journey!
I will be consulting a Nutritionist for an evidence-based nutritional programme to give myself the best diet possible. Lets hope it doesn't leave too much of a windy trail in it's wake!

No comments:

Post a Comment