Thursday, 18 October 2012

What a week I am having. I found an unopened letter on the table this morning and in  it a letter informed me that a poem I had submitted for a competition is to be published in a book! I didn't win, but to see the my poem in print is a real surprise. The category was Seasons and the poem is called Hope Springs Eternal. The book will not be on public sale, but will be kept in the British Library. I can buy copies though.
So this week I have officially become a poet!



HOPE SPRINGS ETERNAL



As winter slowly turns to spring
Nature displays an awesome awakening;
Leaves slowly uncurl on naked branches,
With increasing warmth small buds appear
That open to show a spectacle of colour;
Hues of greens, pinks, yellow, blue;
A showcase of colour as new life appears.



The ice finally melts,


A miracle occurs


As winter’s grip gives way to a slow thaw
Snow becomes water, which trickles away
And the earth underneath awakens,
Now able to sustain, to support and to nourish
The new life, new fruit, and one day harvest
As hope springs eternal in a single human heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment