Should have moved my bed to the hospital for the lsst 48 hours; feels like I lived there.
Yesterday I had a Radiotherapy appointment and my CT Scan.
What I was not prepared for was the Darth Vader moment! My Radiotherapy appointment was to make a mask for my treatment. I had thought this would be across my chest area to direct the therapy. This I had either completed misunderstood or not had it explained very well when I met the consultant last. The mask was completely across my face, shoulders and upper chest. Its role is to keep me in exactly the same position for each treatment ensuring the same area is radiated only.
It is made by warming a sheet of plastic with holes in it then placing if very firmly over my face, shoulders and chest to mould itself to my body impression.It was a very claustrophobic moment and unpleasant experience, especially while still in the throws of a chest infection. It took about 20 minutes to make, then I went in for my scan. It was a pleasant surprise to find the the Radiographer planning my treatment was someone mum and I know through church contact. She was very reassuring and professional through the process of checking the mask fit which involved it being removed several times for some remoulding. To wear it for
treatment it it has to be clamped down beside my head, adding to the pressure and inability to move.
Once she was satisfied with it completely, I had my scan with it on.
I was at the hospital for nearly three hours for this, which at the end of the afternoon left me entirely exhausted and tearful with the whole ordeal. I think if I had seen a mask at my last Radiotherapy consultation and its role clearly explained I would have found it far less daunting yesterday.
The reality of the radiotherapy and its good effects and possible side-effects was also reinforced which I still find difficult to accept without worrying as it is potentially such a dangerous treatment, although necessary.
Today I had to be back at the hospital at 10am, or so I thought; my appointment was actually 10.30am but I didn't go in until 11.15am for my antibody treatment. I was sat in an area with old men and eventually hooked up to my drip containing the antibodies. It took about an hour to go through which with a flush through, meant I left about 1pm. Another 3 hours spent in an area I have now come to completely dislike.
Back home after a sleep I don't feel too bad and very thankful that I did not have the full chemotherapy regime.
I have one more antibody treatment in two weeks time before I start radiotherapy.
Still feeling the effects of the chest infection, last chemo session and mouth ulcers, this last week has probably been one of my lowest ones. However, I have a lovely unexpected break to look forward to next week in Derbyshire after our trip to London to see Les Miserables (for the fourth time!)Time to relax and recover.
So as the song goes; things can only get better!
No comments:
Post a Comment