Tuesday, 20 November 2012

My first radiotherapy experience wasn't too bad at all. I was actually taken through early, so no waiting around. A very careful explanation was given about what was going to happen.
I gowned up in a delightful back ventilated hospital robe and went through to meet Darth.
Over the first three days several check X-rays are taken by the machine to ensure that I am perfectly lined up for the area to be treated. Including this and my treatment, it was all over in about 5 minutes after I had been correctly positioned in the mask.
Nothing is felt during the procedure and I felt fine afterwards apart from the grid impression across my face.
It amused me somewhat that when getting my car park ticket validated, the receptionist had to ask if I had had radiotherapy today?? I pointed to my face instead of answering as a joke, but she wasn't amused and repeated the question before validating my ticket!! A sense of humour was somewhat lacking here, in a place where a little more might help at times.

I went from there for a short trip into Norwich and managed to buy a wireless bra as part of my comfort mission. Also purchased the recommended Aqueous cream for bathing and some Johnsons Baby Talc for the deodorant substitute.
Having met a friend for coffee and catch up in the morning, a meeting a work with HR before radiotherapy and a trip to Norwich, I had quite a busy day and was not overly tired.
I discussed my return to work plan in the meeting and pleased to hear that I can use all of my annual leave entitlement which is owing to reduce my weekly hours for a phased return. I hope to return the second week of January after a further meeting in December just before Christmas when I should have abetter idea about how many hours to work initially. This will be guided by Occupational Health, so its sounds like I am going to be well supported for returning to the NHS. I need to work my private work in with this gradually to increase my income again to be able to earn an income to support me completely again.
Feeling stronger each day, this should be achievable and I'm sure I will be itching to return by then.
In the meantime, let the preserve making begin!

No comments:

Post a Comment