Thursday, 11 July 2013

One year ago today I received my diagnosis from my GP; I remember well the intense anxiety and fear of what was to come that I felt that day.

One year on and I am back to full health, back to work and happier than I have been for many years.
I could never have imagined this time last year that I would be in such a different place this year.
My hairstyle has changed, my name has changed, my outlook on life has changed and I thank God for bringing through tot he other side.
Last weekend my lovely husband took me to London and we saw Michael Buble in concert on Friday night, a relaxing day Saturday on Hamstead Heath, then dinner at The Ritz on Sunday. I sat there and nearly pinched myself to believe that it wasn't a dream and that life is so good and I am well. I have a wonderful man to share life with.

I am having physio treatment on my shoulder now as it became quite painful at extremes of movement. I am in expert hands with the Head of Department at the hospital who is gently mobilising the stiffness away. We are not sure exactly what has caused it but I'm convinced that the chemo drugs played a part in affecting my muscles and causing stiffness within them. I am going to do a bit of research around the subject.
My calf muscles still suffer from pains also which eases with walking and gets worse with rest, so I guess I will just have to keep walking!

My next hospital check-up is not until November, but I have a Bone Density scan booked next week to check the state of my bones with my forced menopause caused by the chemotherapy. I am hoping to avoid HRT as I do not want to increase my risk any further of developing another cancer, but at the same time do not want to become Osteoporotic.

My hair is now about 3 inches long, but very curly so appears shorter. I have my first proper haircut booked for next Friday which I'm very excited about!

Preparations are under way for my eldest daughters 23rd birthday this Sunday; This year we can celebrate properly without the dark cloud hanging over us. We will enjoy the sunshine with Pimms and a special home cooked Indian meal, and celebrate all being together. Harry Potters Studios in London is booked for her birthday present.

In the words of Michael Buble last week;

Its a new dawn, its a new day, its a new life, and I'm feeling good!

No comments:

Post a Comment